Sunday, May 15, 2011

To Anything That Moved


Yesterday it was sweet madness,

Reciting poems for hours

And talking about love to anything that

Moved.

I lay down late thinking I might be able to sleep

All the way until there was light

Of resplendent sounds - and polished jokes -

From the morning birds.

That was foolish of me,

For in just a few minutes, three worlds

Crawled from a cave in my heart,

Built a huge fire and yelled,

"Get Up!"

They could not contain their happiness

Living in one as ripe as I.

We began jumping up and down

And banging our heads

Like a drunk bronze clapper in a sacred Buddhist bell -

Against the fields and mountains,

Against all the jeweled walls of this Universe.

Yesterday was such exquisite madness,

Singing about the Friend for hours

And talking about love to anything

That dared to move.

Yet I believe another wonderful day,

And perhaps even a sweeter height of rare, inspired insanity,

O Hafiz, has just begun.

~ Hafiz


No comments:

Post a Comment